Navigation Tabs

about
disclosurecontact

July 1, 2014

june book report.

The Fault in Our Stars. I decided to read this again (first review here) because the movie was coming out and I knew I needed to be refreshed a little bit. I loved it even more the second time, and I really loved the movie adaptation as well. I think it's just such a great story. I know that some people complain that it's sad, but Hazel says throughout the novel that real life isn't the same as what they portray in movies and novels (irony, ha) and that's what I like about the book and about her as a character, it's all just real life. Augustus is one of my favorite literary characters to ever exist because he is just so easy to love and root for. He's funny and charming and witty and when you read his conversations with Hazel you can't help but smile at how wonderful he is as a person in general and to her. It's one of my favorite books and it's such a quick read that I feel like it'll be one I read over and over again.
"I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."

Attachments. This is a book I picked up after seeing someone mention it in a comment on a blog somewhere. I enjoyed this book, it was another short read, but it wasn't one of my favorites. It's about Lincoln, a guy who works as web security at a newspaper reading people's flagged emails. He starts to read threads between two women who work upstairs for the paper because they are constantly talking about things that are inappropriate for work and personal, but he never flags them because he feels that it's all harmless. It only gets weird when he starts to fall for one of the women and starts hoping their emails will show up in the security folders. It's a cute novel, and the two women, Beth and Jennifer are really enjoyable characters, but I wasn't crazy about Lincoln and the ending was one of those "let's resolve the entire dilemma of the novel in one chapter and call it a day", which always annoy me. But overall, it was a pretty good summer read.
"There's nothing you could become that I haven't already fallen in love with."

Orange is the New Black. I read this at Ingrid's recommendation because she was raving about how she thought the book was better than the show. While I found this hard to believe, I decided to give it a shot because I am obsessed with the show. However, it did not find it better than the show because obviously the show is embellished greatly for entertainment purposes, which is what makes it so hilarious to watch. Sure, Piper is hilarious and I did giggle at a bunch of things she said, but I think she really wrote the book for the purpose of describing what the prison system is like at an all women's facility, and it was sometimes dry in that nonfiction way. One thing that was fun though was trying to pinpoint which characters in the book were which characters in the show because everyone has different names in the book. If you haven't checked out the show on Netflix yet, where the hell have you been, man?
“Two hundred women, no phones, no washing machines, no hair dryers--it was like Lord of the Flies on estrogen.”

15/25 of my 2014 reading goal complete. Though none of these books were on it this month, check out my paperback lust list for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment