Navigation Tabs

about
disclosurecontact

January 9, 2013

DIY quote canvas.

I saw this project a few different times on Pinterest, and the pin I saw from A Beautiful Mess is what finally made me do it. I made this one for my boyfriend for Christmas, and he loved it. It was so easy to make, and the words that I chose are from "Everything Has Changed" by Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran, favorite artists that we both share. I thought it would be awesome for him to put in his kind of empty house to remind him of me since we live so far away from each other.
I chose for my background to be old pages of a book because it's what I had on hand (it was the preview of the author's next book from the back, no biggie). I've seen it done with photographs, paintings, and more, but I thought the pages would be a nice neutral that wouldn't take too much away from the quote's letters.

First, mod podge your background on to the canvas, unless you're using a painting or something that is already finished and ready to go. I applied a thin layer of mod podge under and on top of the pages, and waited for them to dry.
Then I applied the vinyl letter stickers. However, this is where I noticed I had a problem. There were a few bumps and ridges from the pages getting wet and then drying, so make sure you smooth everything out as best as you can or the paint will find it's way underneath the letters. Another alternative to mod podge is spray adhesive, which usually doesn't make the pages wrinkle (hindsight is 20/20).

I used a light coating of paint (similar) over the letters with a foam brush and worked the paint around to all of the edges. After it was completely covered I applied a second coat to make a darker red.
After the paint dries, you can peel off the letters, and if everything went as planned, you'll have a clear quote on your canvas. It's a really quick and easy project and the best part is, it is a cheap gift idea. And even though the vinyl letters get paint all over them, they are definitely reusable because they stay sticky, bonusss.

No comments:

Post a Comment