Navigation Tabs

about
disclosurecontact

January 9, 2013

DIY custom mugs.

Big surprise here, another Pinterest success!! But this particular success has turned into a little bit of a money maker. I saw this idea of writing on mugs with a glass/ceramic marker and decided to make some for my boyfriend for Christmas because he lives on tea and coffee. Everyone who received them and saw them get opened told me that I should sell them because they're so cute, so on a whim I decided to put them on Etsy to make some extra cashmonayy. Check them out here!
I made him all four of the ones above, even though one's for me, but he took that home so I have a mug at his house (easy way to gift something to yourself in that way)! These mugs are really easy to make, as long as you have a steady hand and some (read: tons of) patience.
I got a glass paint marker (which comes in a few different colors) and mugs from IKEA for $2.99 each. They are a little pricier, you can get ones for a dollar, but I wanted them to be a little bigger and not as rounded so that it would be easier to write on.All you have to do is draw/write your design right onto the face of the mug. Depending on the marker you use, the following directions might vary (I know you can use a sharpie too, but not sure if the mug is dishwasher safe that way). After finishing the writing, let the mug sit and dry for 4-8 hours, then bake for 40 minutes at 375*. After that the mug should be dishwasher safe if you did everything correctly and got the times right (though I honestly recommend hand washing just to really make sure that the design stays looking fresh).
I really love this type of project that has a real purpose and love pinterest for organizing tons of these in one space for me. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful idea!! Your handwriting is pretty neat and I love your designs. :) Customized gifts are always perfect for any kind of celebration or event. I will start making one too. I’m happy to hear that you are making money out of your hobby. That’s so inspiring! Thanks for the idea, Alessia. I’d love to see more artwork on your blog. Keep it up!

    Lissette Monroe

    ReplyDelete