Navigation Tabs

about
disclosurecontact

February 18, 2014

baked funfetti donuts.


I was very interested in making my own donuts from scratch after I saw this post on pinterest. I picked up a six donut baking tray (probably one of my greatest kitchen investments to-date) and jumped right in even though I was nervous about how these were going to turn out being that they were baked and the recipe involved yeast, which I haven't used before (yikes).For approximately 24 donuts:
// 2 tsp. active yeast
// 1/4 C warm water
// 2 C flour
// 1¼ C granulated sugar
// 1½ tsp. baking powder
// 1/4 tsp. sea salt
// 1-2 tsp. ground nutmeg
// 2 eggs
// 3/4 C vanilla greek yogurt (a single container of yogurt is just a bit too little, but fine if it's all you have)
// 1/4 C unsalted butter
// 1/4 C milk (I used vanilla almond milk, any is fine)
// 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
// 1 C rainbow sprinkles

For the glaze:
// 1-3 Tbsp. milk (depending on consistency)
// 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
// 1 C powdered sugar
// rainbow sprinkles1/ preheat the oven to 300* and either spray or butter your donut tin.
2/ in a bowl, mix warm water and active yeast together. Leave for about 10 minutes, or until a foamy consistency that has doubled in volume forms.
3/ in a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and sea salt together.
4/ add the eggs, butter, milk, yogurt, vanilla, and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
5/ fill the donut tray with batter until each slot has been filled to just under the hole marker in the middle (for this step I created a piping bag out of a plastic bag, which I highly recommend because I found it difficult and time consuming to try and spoon the batter in).
6/ let the donuts bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until the sides just begin to turn golden brown. Let the donuts cool in the tray for five minutes after removing them, then transfer to a cooling rack over wax paper.
7/ repeat steps 5 and 6 until all of the batter is gone (I made four trays, but probably could have done another few donuts with the leftover batter).
8/ while the first round of donuts are cooling, make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk.
9/ spoon the glaze over warm donuts (this is why wax paper under the cooling rack is an amah-zing idea), then top with sprinkles.In the end, I found these super easy to make, and they were absolutely delicious. Don't be intimidated by yeast if, like me, you have never really worked with it before; it's not scary at all. After the glaze was dry on my donuts I piled them up into a few brown paper bags as rustic packaging (read: we are running low on tupperware) for easy transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment