Navigation Tabs

about
disclosurecontact

June 4, 2013

tunes tuesday // imagine dragons.

So this Tunes Tuesday is all about Imagine Dragons, a current but longstanding obsession of mine. I have probably mentioned this before, but I am a music brat. When I listen to a band way before they are on the radio, I feel like they're mine and I don't have to share them. I can't be the only one who gets this feeling, but regardless, it's probably some kind of illness. I did not discover imagine dragons on my own though. That part I cannot take credit for.

I was on a retreat on one of my last weekends of senior year at Scranton called Fourth Day. It's basically a follow up to Search, another retreat that tons and tons of schools do. I was listening to one of the retreat leaders talk about his life in college and things that happened to him that made him appreciate the life that he has been given, and at the end of his beautiful talk, he chose to play 'On Top of the World' by Imagine Dragons. It had me at the first note. Granted, I was in tears at his story and was feeling emotional, but this song just made me feel so alive in that moment.

As soon as the retreat ended (in tears, like most of the weekend), I regrouped with my housemates while I impatiently unpacked my things, and finally when I had a minute to myself I got on spotify and played the song over and over and over. After a day or two, with the lyrics and tune committed to memory, I decided to give the rest of the album, Night Visions, a go. Man, oh man. It is just such a great album. They have such an awesome sound, pretty uncommon, but at the same time I can hear their influences and easily compare them to bands like Biffy Clyro and 30 Seconds to Mars. But every single song is different so there isn't one things to compare them to. They are so wonderfully themselves.

The first song, 'Radioactive', is a great opening to the album, and also feels a lot like it would fit in the movie version of either Divergent or Insurgent by Veronica Roth. Both of which I have been meaning to review (oops). But if you've read those bad boys, you probably know what I mean, unless I'm nuts. But I don't think I am!

So anyway, I love Imagine Dragons, I am trying to see them at the new Jones Beach Theater this July, and even though I have a 6 CD changer in my car (I know, so up with the times), I am constantly playing CD 3. Which is this album, obvs.

Take a listen below to 'On Top of the World', the one that started it all, a song that I am still obsessed with. It's one that makes you want to roll the windows down in your car, drive fast, and sing as loud as you can. It just has a great effect. And the rest of the album is amazing as well, so if you like this check it out. If you don't like this, I mean, I don't know how you couldn't, but still check them out because all of their songs have different feels.

Happy listening y'all.

On Top of the World
Imagine Dragons
NIGHT VISIONS

No comments:

Post a Comment