Navigation Tabs

about
disclosurecontact

October 30, 2013

allegiant.

I have been waiting for October 22 to roll around since February of this year, when I finally caved and downloaded Divergent and it's sequel Insurgent to my nook and devoured them both in three days. The first two were so great, couldn't put them down, sat on the edge of my seat, all that jazz. This third and final installment, Allegiant, was similar in that I couldn't put it down, but it was kind of for a different reason. It was less about the action with this one, more just curiosity at where it could and would go next.

I am not unhappy with Allegiant, I'm just a little bit disappointed because I think the way the first book built to the second book was so good that I expected this third book to blow the second one out of the water and leave me settled about this little fiction world's story. I feel a little like there was something to be desired, and that the storyline was a little too straight for me. Nothing had a significant connection to the beginning of the book, and a lot of it was just a little too easy for me. An event was planned out, it happened, it was over, something new happened, that was over, and so on until the end. I am still coming to terms with the ending of it, and I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I like it (I'm pretty sure I don't) because it seems to me that the author kind of clued me into the ending straight from chapter two. I really don't want to give anything away because it's such a popular series, and I would definitely read this one again when I start the series from the beginning in preparation for the movie, it's just not exactly what I expected, and not really in a good way.

One of my tips before reading this (besides obviously reading the first two books for the first time beforehand), is to go back and reread Insurgent again. I didn't, and I was a little hazy on some of the more specific details in the beginning because it has been so long since I originally read the first two. I'm glad that this book came out when it did, because I'm kind of (or was) in a place where reading wasn't really on the forefront of my mind, even though I have a list of a million books that I want to read. Like all of my dry spells in the world of books, reading this one book has really jumpstarted me again, and I am ready to devour my next one.

Top want-to-reads:
// Catching Fire (again, before the movie comes out in November)
// Ender's Game (recommended to me by a friend, and because I guess it's nice that I'll have a movie to watch right after I finish instead of waiting months for it)
// Night Circus
// The Tiger's Wife

I'm always looking for something new to read and often my list grows faster than I can read, but I like it that way. Keeps me on my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment