Navigation Tabs

about
disclosurecontact

June 3, 2013

DIY glitter mason jar.

Glitter should be the fifth element. I love glitter with a passion, so naturally when I saw a glitter covered mason jar on Pinterest, I had to diy my own. I saw the picture on Pinterest, but knew that I wanted to do it that second, so rather than looking at how anyone did theirs, I just grabbed my gold glitter, mod podge, and a sponge brush and went to town. I'm sure this procedure, and tons of others are floating around out there in the internet universe, but this is how I did mine.


First, I covered my entire jar with mod podge. I have the matte kind, but I'm sure any type would work because it's just acting as a glue. Then, with my mason jar on a large paper plate, I poured glitter all over the surface, then put the jar on another plate and poured the extra glitter over it again. I had to go back and forth a bunch of times to make sure every area was covered, and I applied more mod podge as I went along to areas that didn't get a lot of glitter the first few rounds.

Once the entire thing was covered I let it sit for a few hours so that everything dried. There was a ton of fallout, so I tapped it with my fingers a few times to shake off the excess glitter, and then sprayed it with an acrylic sealer. It is so not the right type of thing to use at all, but it's what I had and it ended up making everything look shiny and the glitter stuck to the jar a lot better after that.
I still find that there is a bit of fallout even after using the sealer, but I'm not too worried about it because it's not going to be moving around a lot. I'm using it to hold my pretty summer pencils from this etsy shop on my desk.
This diy took no time at all, and looks really cool. I had all of the things I used in my craft box, so if you are a diy person or just like to craft then I'm sure you could whip something up with the things you have, which is the beauty of it. And if you don't have glitter just laying around, well, I'm not sure what you're doing with your life.

Let me know if you make one of these bad boys and find a way to prevent fallout.

No comments:

Post a Comment