Navigation Tabs

about
disclosurecontact

January 19, 2016

blueberry swirl muffins.

Be still, my blueberry-lovin' heart.I went through my pinterest for the first time in absolute ages (can't believe how much time I used to spend on that app!!) and spotted these babies, patiently waiting for me on my "sweet tooth" board. I went to the supermarket the next day to grab anything I didn't have (though stick around, I totally forgot something), and used my MLK day off to bake them.This was my first time making muffins ever, and they're the most delicious muffins I've ever eaten, hands down. Normally I eat the full top of a muffin and then nibble at the dry bottom, but these are too good not to eat the entire thing. The bottoms were moist and dense, the tops were crispy and sweet and gooey, and ugh. I can't rave about these enough.Ingredients:
for the streusel topping
// 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
// 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
// pinch of salt
// 1/4 cup flour
// 2 1/2 tablespoons warm melted butter

for the muffins
// 2 cups blueberries
// 1 1/8 cup sugar
// 2 1/2 cups flour
// 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
// 1 teaspoon salt
// 2 large eggs
// 4 tablespoons butter melted and cooled
// 1/4 cup vegetable oil
// 3/4 cup yogurt (I used strawberry banana because I forgot to buy plain, but loved the extra flavor. For pure blueberry bliss, go with blueberry yogurt, or to keep the spotlight on the fresh blueberries, go plain)
// 1/4 cup milk
// 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extractDirections:
1// Preheat oven to 425*F.
2// To make the streusel topping, mix the sugars, salt, and flour together, then slowly mix in the melted butter and combine all of the ingredients with a fork. Once it's lumpy and mixed, set it aside.
3// To make that delicious-looking blueberry swirl, add 1 cup of the blueberries with a teaspoon of sugar to a small pan and mix together (frequently) on medium heat for five minutes. Smoosh the blueberries as you go, and set aside to cool to room temperature once the mixture is thick and melty.
4// To make the muffins, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
5// In another bowl, combine the eggs and sugar until thick, then add in the oil, melted butter, milk, yogurt, and vanilla.
6// Fold the dry mix into the wet mix until mostly combined, then fold in the remaining cup of blueberries until you have a lumpy and thick batter.
7// Spoon the mixture into your muffin tin, filling the slots completely.
8// Add a teaspoon of the blueberry swirl mixture to the top of each, poking into the middle with a fork to let it seep into the middle of the muffin a bit.
9// Add the streusel topping to each muffin. Note: the topping will have gotten a bit dry while it was sitting, so use your fingers to crush and sprinkle it all over, but be sure to leave some chunks!
10// Bake for 16 minutes, and let cool before devouring.Adapted from this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment