Navigation Tabs

about
disclosurecontact

July 29, 2013

I might be addicted to spray painting things gold.


I got a new desk from ikea on Thursday night, and have been so excited to decorate it with some pretty things and make a nice space for myself to get my creative juices flowing. My old desk was a corner desk that I got with the rest of my furniture set when I was about ten, and it was just so clunky and took up so much space. Considering how big it was, there was really zero space to work after I put a pen cup and a computer on it, so I decided it was time to let it go. I picked up this desk from ikea and I am so obsessed with it. It kind of makes me feel older and more important, yet also like I'm still in college. It's the perfect mix of nostalgia and new-ness, if that makes sense.

So as soon as I set up the desk I decided that everything on it needed to fit and mesh and make me feel creative and inspired in the way that the rest of my childhood room can't. I need this space to foster creativity rather than become just another surface to put folded laundry and receipts on. So I went to a few places and got a couple of little things, which I will probably post about once all of the little chotchkies I got are in place and I can take a few pictures of the space with good light. In the meantime, I did a little diy to contribute to my white, black, and gold theme.

I bought a letter "A" from Michael's dollar section about a month ago in this lime green color with every intention of painting it a different color. Then, I was in Michael's yesterday with Rich (he's here!!) and I saw a mini can of gold spray pain and thought, "hmmm, maybe I'll start small with the whole spray painting thing". I didn't know if I was going to buy the spray paint, but then R pointed out the Halloween section (already?!) and there was a little plastic skull that was this awful grey-ish cream color, but would have looked awesome painted gold, so I decided that I was going to get the spray paint and go to town.

Spray painting is surprisingly easy and also super fun. All you really need to do is lay out some newspaper outside and put on a rubber glove before you go on a spraying rampage. The spray paint that I used only takes about 30 minutes to be dry to the touch, so I left it outside after a few light coats of paint for 45 minutes just to also eliminate most of the smell.
I'm really happy with the way that they turned out, sorry that I forgot the before pictures, I was just so excited to start that I wasn't even thinking about it. I feel that unlike any regular paint-it-on-yourself-with-a-brush type of paint, spray paint just covers anything. I don't know why it has taken me so long to discover it, but now that I have I think I may have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment